Monday, July 9, 2012

A word about safety...

As I was reading my usual science blogs, one really stood out. Here is a word of warning about glow sticks.

I love all things glowing and sparkling - so I always look at the pintrest posts with glow sticks. I do love many of them and have pinned ideas with glow sticks. However, do NOT open up the glow sticks.

Really - they contain chemicals that can be dangerous if swallowed. Yeah, I hear you that you are not going to swallow them, but can you say the same thing about your pets or kids?

If a glow stick cracks, and I've had a few do that, toss it out and wash your hands.

If you really need a glow, and I understand the need, try paint or using a black light. I hear there are many unexpected things that will glow like tonic water.

But if you really want to get your geek on, check this out.This is not a video for preschoolers, but explains how florescent dyes work, the chemical reactions needed to make glow sticks, and why you need certain chemicals for each reaction. It is a cool video to watch where he does some really great science asking questions and then collecting data.

No comments:

Post a Comment